Rose Geranium Essential Oil
Rose Geranium essential oil is native to South Africa and is presently cultivated in Europe, Central America, Egypt, India, Japan and the Congo.
Rose-Geranium oil is extracted from the plant with the botanical name Pelargonium roseum.
There are also other species of geranium which yield essential oils.
Rose geranium oil has been used as far back in history as ancient Egypt.
They used rose geranium oil against tumors.
What does rose geranium essential oil smell like?
Rosy with an earthy, smooth and dry aroma with a hint of citrus flavours.
Which part of the plant provides the oil?
The flowers and leaves.
Where has this rose geranium essential oil been sourced from?
This particular certified organic rose geranium essential oil originates from India.
How is rose geranium essential oil extracted?
Rose geranium oil is extracted by steam distillation.
This involves using steam from boiling water to extract the essential oil from the plant.
The heat from the steam causes the plant’s cell walls to open allowing the essential oil to be released.
What other oils blend well with rose geranium essential oil?
Rose geranium oil blends well with basil, bergamot, clary sage, grapefruit, jasmine, lavender, lime, marjoram, neroli, patchouli, petitgrain, rose, rosemary sandalwood and vetivert.
How can I benefit from rose geranium oil?
Here are some ways you can benefit from rose geranium oil:
- Aromatherapy: The pleasant and uplifting scent of rose geranium oil makes it a popular choice for aromatherapy. Inhalation of the oil’s aroma can promote relaxation, reduce stress, and enhance mood. You can use a diffuser to disperse the oil throughout a room, or simply inhale it directly from the bottle.
- Skincare: Rose geranium oil has properties that can benefit the skin. It is known for its balancing effect on sebum production, making it useful for both oily and dry skin. It may help reduce acne, blemishes, and skin irritations. You can dilute a few drops of rose geranium oil in a carrier oil (like jojoba or coconut oil) and apply it to your skin, or add a few drops to your regular skincare products.
- Stress and anxiety relief: The aroma of rose geranium oil is believed to have a calming effect on the mind and can help reduce stress and anxiety. You can inhale the oil directly, add a few drops to a warm bath, or mix it with a carrier oil for a relaxing massage.
- Insect repellent: Rose geranium oil has natural insect-repellent properties, particularly against mosquitoes. You can create a DIY insect repellent spray by combining rose geranium oil with water and a few drops of other essential oils like citronella or lavender. Spray it on your skin before heading outdoors.
- Menstrual discomfort: Rose geranium oil is often used to alleviate symptoms associated with menstruation, such as cramps and mood swings. Mix a few drops with a carrier oil and massage it onto your abdomen to help relieve menstrual discomfort.
- Sleep aid: The soothing properties of rose geranium oil can promote a restful sleep. Diffuse the oil in your bedroom before bedtime or dilute it in a carrier oil and apply it to your pulse points.
Are there precautions I should know about?
Should not be used during pregnancy as it regulates female hormones. It may irritate sensitive skin.