Organic Spikenard Essential Oil
Spikenard essential oil is extracted from the plant with the botanical name Nardostachys jatamansi.
Spikenard is native to the mountain regions of northern India, China and Japan.
Spikenard oil was used in the perfume industry in Rome.
What does spikenard essential oil smell like?
A heavy and earthy odour.
Which part of the plant provides the oil?
The rhizome and root.
Where has spikenard been sourced from?
This particular organic spikenard oil originates from India.
How is spikenard essential oil extracted?
Spikenard oil is extracted by steam distillation.
This involves using steam from boiling water to extract the essential oil from the plant.
The heat from the steam causes the plant’s cell walls to open allowing the essential oil to be released.
What other oils blend well with spikenard essential oil?
Spikenard oil blends well with clary sage, clove, cypress, frankincense, geranium, juniper berry, lavender, lemon, myrrh, neroli, oakmoss, palmarosa, patchouli, pine, rose and vetiver.
How can I benefit from spikenard essential oil?
Here are some ways you may benefit from spikenard essential oil:
- Relaxation and Stress Relief: Spikenard oil is known for its calming and sedative properties. Diffusing the oil or adding a few drops to a warm bath can help promote relaxation, reduce anxiety, and alleviate stress.
- Sleep Aid: Due to its soothing qualities, spikenard oil may aid in improving sleep quality. Diffuse the oil in your bedroom before bedtime or consider mixing a few drops with a carrier oil and applying it to your temples or the soles of your feet.
- Skin Care: Spikenard oil possesses antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, making it beneficial for skin health. It can help soothe irritated or inflamed skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and dermatitis. Dilute spikenard oil with a carrier oil, such as coconut oil, and apply it topically to the affected area.
- Wound Healing: Spikenard oil may facilitate the healing of minor cuts, wounds, or bruises. Its antimicrobial properties can help protect against infection while its anti-inflammatory effects aid in reducing inflammation. Dilute the oil and apply it topically to the affected area after cleansing it properly.
- Respiratory Support: The aroma of spikenard oil can be beneficial for respiratory health. Inhaling the oil’s vapors may help clear congestion, reduce coughing, and ease breathing. You can use a diffuser or inhale the oil directly from the bottle.
- Emotional Balance: Spikenard oil has been used in aromatherapy to support emotional well-being. It can help alleviate feelings of sadness, grief, or emotional distress. Diffuse the oil or use it in a personal inhaler to experience its calming and grounding effects.
Are there precautions I should know about?
Generally safe but not to be used while pregnant.