Essential oil safety for you
One of the most effective ways that you can take care of yourself, in a natural way is through aromatherapy or using pure essential oils for relaxation. However, no matter how natural they may be, they can still be harmful if they are used inappropriately. So, to maximize the health benefits of essential oils, keep in mind these essential oil safety guidelines.
- Don’t apply essential oils directly onto your skin unless you’ve diluted the essential oils with a carrier oil base first – the exceptions are lavender and tea tree essential oils which may be applied neat
- Ensure the essential oils of your choice are safe for you to use, especially in relation to the health conditions you might have – if in doubt seek the advice of your health care professional or aromatherapist before using any essential oils
- Essential oils used in aromatherapy are intended for external use only. Some oils are toxic if they are taken internally
- Do a patch test of essential oils before using them. You can do this by dropping a small amount of base oil on the wrist and letting it get absorbed by the skin. If you feel any kind of irritation where you applied the oil, rinse it with milk. If the irritation is beyond mild, you should stay away from and stop using that particular essential oil
- There are certain essential oils, particularly the citrus based oils like sweet orange and bergamot which can make your skin extra sensitive to direct sunlight. So do some research on the components of the oil first so that you may take the necessary precautions before you expose your skin to sunlight
- Pregnant women should take extra caution when using essential oils, and always seek the advice of their health care professional or aromatherapist before using any essential oils
- Essential oils are very volatile so they should be stored in tightly sealed, dark glass bottles, and in a dry, cool, dark area to enhance their longevity.
If you have any question on essential oil safety please put your question in the comment box below and we will try to answer.
Discover 5 simple and effective aromatherapy blends that can help reduce allergy symptoms and improve overall health